Thursday, June 29, 2017

My Gemara Rebbi's Advice to the Graduates of 2012

Originally published in May 2012. Click here for a printer-friendly version of this blog post.

Artwork: Divert, by Igor Kieryluk


My Gemara Rebbi's Advice to the Graduates of 2012

I have had the privilege of teaching high school Gemara alongside my own Gemara rebbi from yeshiva, whose shiur I was in for six years. We share the same group of students: I teach Gemara to them in 9th and 10th grade, and he teaches them Gemara in 11th and 12th grade.

Last week was the final week of classes for 12th graders. My rebbi sent them a farewell email, which included some valuable words of advice. I am grateful that he gave me permission to share those words with my readers. Here is the email in its entirety (for the sake of context and flavor), with my underlining for emphasis:
Dear Seniors, 
At our last class I did not have time to adequately formulate my farewell message to you and I would like to use this opportunity to take a second chance to convey my thoughts to you. Although we have only been together for a very short time over a few months it has been my pleasure and honor to be your teacher. You all have impressed me with your intelligence, your sincere interest in learning and your appreciation of Torah and knowledge. I know that you are nervous about leaving the comfort and safety of high school and entering a new uncharted phase of your life but I want you to know that I am sure that each one of you will continue to succeed in your endeavors. I am not saying that it will be easy, or that you won't feel discouraged at times but you should always have confidence in the abilities which I have seen in you. I want to give you one piece of advice. When you see people who seem really smart or have great memories or some other talent, who are very impressive, you should never feel inferior or inadequate. Do not become unduly impressed with appearances and never surrender your right to think for yourself and trust in your own mind. It is often the case that there is a deep wisdom that is not found with the fast mind but resides in the slow, careful, methodical thinker. Please feel free to keep in touch, I would love to hear from you in the future and do not hesitate to ask for anything you think I could help with. Best wishes and I hope to see you at graduation. 
- PC
Very important advice (in my opinion) for high school students and for the rest of us. I am thankful to God for granting me the opportunity to have this lesson instilled in me firsthand by learning from and observing my rebbi throughout my formative years in yeshiva.

No comments:

Post a Comment